The Shoestring Initiative

Advancing socioeconomic diversity in Canadian universities

legal aid

Legal Aid

If you are looking for legal information and advice, the following resources may be of assistance. (From Pivot Legal Society


The Legal Services Society of BC (LSS)

  • LSS provides legal help to low-income people who meet certain criteria. If you don’t qualify for representation by a legal aid lawyer, you may still be able to get some legal help through LSS. To apply or to find the office nearest you contact LSS:
  • Tel: 604-408-2172, 1-866-577-2525
  • Website:

Rise Women’s Legal Centre

  • Rise is a community legal centre striving to create accessible legal services that are responsive to the unique needs of self-identifying women, particularly those who are victims of violence, abuse and unequal power dynamics.
  • Tel: 604-451-7447
  • Website:

Prisoners’ Legal Services

  • The West Coast Prison Justice Society promotes the rule of law within prisons and the fair and equal treatment of prisoners. The Society operates Prisoners’ Legal Services, a legal clinic for federal and provincial prisoners in BC.
  • Tel: 604-636-0470, 604-636-0464 (Mon – Fri, 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
  • Website:

Family Justice Counselling/Family Duty Counsel


Access Pro Bono

  • Access Pro Bono operates a network of clinics across the province that offers free summary legal advice to low and modest-income people.
  • Tel: 604-878-7400, 1-877-762-6664
  • Website:

Atira Women’s Resource Society

  • For low-income women (including transwomen) in Vancouver, especially women in the Downtown Eastside, to obtain free legal assistance in a safe and confidential, women’s-only space
  • Tel: 604-428-9202, 604-908-0048
  • Website:

The Law Students’ Legal Advice Program (LSLAP)

  • LSLAP offers free legal advice to people in the Lower Mainland who cannot afford a lawyer. LSLAP clinics are run by law students from the University of British Columbia who are supervised by practicing lawyers.
  • Tel: 604-822-5791
  • Website:

The Community Legal Assistance Society (CLAS)

  • CLAS may be able to help with human rights claims, judicial reviews, mental health cases, social assistance, welfare, Canada Pension Plan, and Worksafe BC issues.
  • Tel: 604-685-3425, 1-888-685-6222
  • Website:

MOSAIC’s Legal Advocacy Program

  • This program assists temporary foreign workers and offers advice on immigration and refugee law.
  • Tel: 604-254-9626
  • Website:

UBC Indigenous Community Legal Clinic

Catherine White Holman Wellness Centre

  • This non-profit organization is part of a networked community of helping professionals who prioritize the autonomy and dignity of transgender and gender diverse people. CWHWC provides trans* clients with summary advice.
  • Email:
  • Website:


  • This online legal information and education site includes information about family law, immigration law, personal injury law, employment law, consumer law and much more. Clicklaw also provides online access to court forms and information about legal resources across BC.
  • Website:

Lisa Rupert, YWCA (Women Only)


Battered Women’s Support Services

  • Education, advocacy, and support services to assist all women in its aim to work towards the elimination of violence and to work from a feminist perspective that promotes equality for all women
  • Tel: 604-687-1867
  • Website:


  • This phone line provides free, confidential information and referrals to community resources including advocacy and legal help, and housing search assistance. Multi-lingual telephone assistance is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • 24-hour phone line: 211
  • Tel: 604-875-6381, 604-875-0885, 604-836-6381 (text)
  • Email:
  • Website:

Disability Alliance BC

  • Our mission is to support people, with all disabilities, to live with dignity, independence and as equal and full participants in the community. 
  • Tel: 604-872-1278
  • Website:

Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre

  • Provides a safe space for women and children in the Downtown Eastside. The Centre offers practical support, basic necessities and hot nutritious meals to over 500 women and children every day, and helps connect individuals to a continuum of services including outreach, advocacy, wellness, recreation, housing and skills development.
  • Tel: 604-681-8480
  • Website:

DTES SRO Collaborative

First United Church Advocacy

  • First United Church provides housing and poverty law advocacy. Sign up for an appointment on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:00-11:00 a.m., and Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
  • You can drop in to their offices at 542 East Hastings Street, Vancouver
  • Tel: 604-681-8365
  • Website:

Kettle Friendship Society

PACE Society

  • Made up of dedicated, compassionate individuals who are committed to providing Sex Worker-led and driven programs and services to Sex Workers
  • Tel: 604-872-7651
  • Website:

Seniors First BC

  • Seniors First BC works to prevent elder abuse across the entire province. We provide assistance and support to older adults who are, or may be, abused and those whose rights have been violated. 
  • Tel: 604-437-1940, 1-866-437-1940
  • Website:

St. Paul’s Advocacy

Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre (TRAC)

  • TRAC provides free legal information about residential tenancy law in BC.
  • Tel: 604-255-0546, 1-800-665-1185
  • Website:

Vancouver Tenants Union

Wilson Heights Church Advocacy (Tom McGregor)

  • Provides information, general advocacy, referrals, and support for individuals requiring assistance with issues such as welfare, housing, CPP, OAS/GIS, and residential tenancy
  • Tel: 604-325-9944 ext. 224
  • Website:


Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner (Municipal Police)

  • The Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner promotes accountable policing within our communities and enhances public confidence in law enforcement through impartial, transparent civilian oversight.
  • Tel: 250-356-7458, 1-877-999-8707
  • Email:
  • Website:

Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP

  • The Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP is an independent agency that reviews complaints made by the public about the on-duty conduct of RCMP members.
  • Tel: 1-800-665-6878
  • Website:

BC Civil Liberties Association

  • The BC Civil Liberties Association was established in 1962 and is the oldest and most active civil liberties group in Canada. Its mandate is to preserve, defend, maintain, and extend civil liberties and human rights in Canada.
  • Tel: 604-687-2919
  • Website:

If you need information about your rights when dealing with private security or want to make a complaint against a private security guard, visit BC’s Registrar of Security Services

Leave a Reply

Theme by Anders Norén